Since our OFSTED inspection we have regular monitoring visits by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate. On Monday 24th June we had our first HMI visit by Lorna Brackstone and she stayed with us for the day. She spoke to myself, the Yr6 children, 4 members of the governing body, Anna Barker (Local Authority Advisor) and Teresa Day (Executive Head Teacher from September). Her main findings were:
- The school was being led in a determined manner and swiftly getting to grips with those aspects which require improvement.
- The ‘Rapid Action Plan’ (RAP) is sharply focused with appropriate actions identified. She was also impressed with how the school tracks and checks the improvements being made, which have been organised in a timely fashion.
- By setting out the minimum expectations for all teachers, the school is developing a culture where the right level of work is set and all the pupils benefit from suitably challenging lessons.
- By implanting a systematic way of recording pupil progress and meeting with their teachers to discuss this, the school is ensuring that that there is a shared understanding of accountability for pupil achievement.
- Individual teachers have reflected on their own style of teaching and are attending courses to improve and strengthen their practice.
- Many of the governors are new to the position and are sensibly taking the opportunity to seek induction training and gain a better understanding of their roles and responsibilities.
- The governing body had made a wise decision about delaying the appointment of a substantive head teacher.
- Senior leaders and governors are taking effective action to tackle the areas requiring improvement identified at the recent inspection.
Overall, I am very pleased with what we have achieved since the inspection. We are definitely heading in the right direction and are very clear about what we need to achieve next academic year. I hope you have seen some of these positive changes and I would welcome any feedback. If you would like to read the letter in full, you will be to access it via the OFSTED website or from the school’s website.
I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone (children, staff, parents and governors) for the continual support which the school is receiving. Yesterday afternoon was fantastic and to see so many children taking part in the events was superb and a pleasure to watch.
Mrs Pam Smart